Sunday, June 1, 2014

Gate? Trellis? Old Fashioned Look But Functional

I can remember when I just 5 or 6 years old going out to the chicken yard and entering through a gate just like this one. You had to squeeze the lever back and it was hard to do at my age.

Grandmother lived right across the road from me and I visited every day. She was always busy doing something. Making cookies, planting or harvesting the garden and taking care of the chickens and turkeys. Just past the chicken yard was berry patch and the apple orchard. She was busy but never really rushed at the chores and always laid down for a short nap in the afternoon.

Oh yes another daily duty was separating the milk after my dad would bring it to the back porch. The cream would come to the top and be saved to make butter. I still have the wooden butter paddle and bowl she used. I am definitely the keeper of all the family goodies. She had 2 baskets that she used to pick rhubarb and asparagus and they sit on top of my cherry corner cupboard. The spice cabinet still hangs on the kitchen wall. I should mention that she passed in the early 1960's and my husband and I moved into her home in the mid 1970's. We have all the modern conveniences - electronic and appliances with comfy seating in the living room. Everything else is OLD. Really old! The 1848 two story home is filled with mementos and memories from earlier times.

The old garden gate brings a flood of memories and know that the gates that we make here in Illinois will be the start of new memories for our customer's families. We offer the coordinating fencing and found our customers needed gates so we make them to fit their openings. Some just love the look and use it as a trellis for their climbing flowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home